The buttons under each pattern will take you to past articles if you would like to learn more about the flies, how to fish them, how to tie them, and the materials list if you want to tie them yourself. By 7 p.m., my wife and I pack up the canoe, a bottle of wine, and our fly rods and head over to the local lake. Extra - Select Marabou. TAKE a KID FLY FISHING!! But taunt them with a well-presented Clouser Minnow and you just might unleash the beast. I prefer a thread that can be flattened out to reduce the possibility of cutting the foam. This versatile material can be found everywhere and can be used to create an endless variety of flies and bugs for warm water fly fishing. Choosing The Right Foam: As I mentioned earlier, all foam is not created equal. I did not pay much attention to the differences until I started mass producing bodies for my Triangle Bug pattern. 12.95. It still amazes me to see dimple after dimple in a shallow bay. Bluegill provide four seasons of pure fly-fishing pleasure, especially if you challenge them with the lightest fly tackle, thinnest tippets, and tiny flies. So how do you catch bluegill on a fly rod? . A staple in all my fly boxes, an elk hair caddis floats well and is super durable. Step-by-step photo enhanced instruction for tying flies such as deer hair bugs, streamers, wet flies, sliders and divers. Strip a small streamer through a bed and you’re almost guaranteed a hit. They are truly our best fly-fishing bargain. For a fly fishing reel, if all you’re going to fish for is bluegill and other panfish, having a high-quality reel isn’t super important. While often tied with molded foam bodies, a great looking foam spider can be tied with sheet foam. 5.95. We pour a couple glasses of a semi-sweet red and soak in the beauty. I prefer a thread that can be flattened like UTC or Danville and tend to stay away from a corded thread like Uni. I fish the Clouser by casting parallel to the shore above any drop-offs. That’s a lot of options, right! Until then, if you want to check them out, they are now available in the shop. In our book Bluegill Fly Fishing and Flies (1999), we described big bluegills, those exceeding 8 inches, as freshwa­ter’s most selective fish. Hmmm, you got me wondering on that one. Using a set of interchangeable rod sections, the Drift can be fished as a 9′ rod (what I use for bluegills), a 10′ rod, an 11′ 3 inch rod, or a 12′ 3? And when you’re a spawning bluegill, just about everything qualifies as an invader that includes streamer flies. Some of the best bluegill flies which you should include in your box are included below in our “top ten” best bluegill flies. These are tougher to catch on the fly but weighted nymphs and streamers will work if you give them time to sink. Predator. Use of Glue: Superglue (Cyanoacrylate adhesive) and glues designed explicitly for foam are very useful in fly tying. Thread Control: When working with foam, the proper use of thread tension is essential. When bluegills are eating on the surface, sight casting dry flies and poppers is very effective and a great way to practice casting accuracy. Plus, terrestrial insects like ants, beetles, and spiders tend to fall out of such trees directly into the water where they’re promptly slurped up by hungry bluegills. Do you suppose folks don't think any fly that simple could possibly work? I don’t go out to fill a stringer, so easy hook removal without tearing up the fish is essential. – Bluegills are pretty low on the food chain and rely on overhead protection to evade airborne predators. Before I get into some of my favorite foam flies for warm water, I’d like to mention a few things that make your fly tying go a little smoother when working with this great material. Look for foam that is dense and harder to compress. The water is warming so they’ll be moving from deep water to the warmer shallows. more on those later but you’ll also need a few other odds and ends to make your bluegill fishing efforts successful. The simplest form of nymphing for bluegills is to tie on a nymph to your tippet just like you would a dry fly. right. I find it easier to glue entire sheets of foam together then cut them to shape rather than layering the foam on the fly. The more you tie the fibers back on the hook, the more the pattern will kick forward, so keep this in mind when you’re tying your flies, and adjust how much bare hook you want. It’s a lightweight reel with a super large arbor that balances out my TFO Drift fly rod perfectly. This pint-sized version is perfect for bluegills and other species of panfish. When the waters warm up they go into deeper waters so by mid-summer, fly gear is not the best to catch them on in lakes. Certain threads work betters than others when it comes to foam. Add a name or favorite quote. You can paint them in a variety of colors such as chartreuse, blue, and yellow to see which colors seem to produce the most strikes in different water conditions. . Panfish On The Fly. If you’re looking for something that’s a bit more of an investment but delivers a lot more versatility and performance, I highly recommend checking my fly rod of choice: the TFO Drift Fly Rod. With a streamer like Wooly Bugger, Wooly Worm, or Clouser Minnow tied to your leader, cast beyond your target, then slowly and twitchily strip the streamer through or over the bed. A PERSONALIZED fly box make a perfect gift. Plus, bluegills seem to love them! The Best Fly Rod Combo Under $100. Popper Flies – A Little Strip & BAM. Provides instruction for tying flies for bass, bluegills, and other panfish. Read this article on fly fishing for brook trout. – Gusty conditions can make for difficult fly casting, but light winds break up the surface of the water enough to cause bluegills to let down their guard a bit. When to Fish for Bluegills and Panfish: Time of Year and Time of Day, It still amazes me to see dimple after dimple in a shallow bay. We know the fish are there and usually, something will smack the fly about every third cast. My poor little Predator fly has developed a personality disorder – it began life as a buoyant … These are the nests where bluegills lay their eggs during spawning season and when active, will defend them viciously. Let it drift down slowly, usually if fish are around, it’ll never reach the bottom. If still no hit, pick up and cast again. 4.50. Good color picture of the flies. If you suspect bluegills are holding deeper and aren’t as active, suspending one or two nymphs under a strike indicator can be an effective strategy. Remember all those pollywogs from your childhood. Tiny frogs start chirping, more sparrows flit over the water. Now, I’d like to go over the three core techniques you’ll want to try when fly fishing for bluegills. The Folded Foam Popper will also be the subject of a future blog post. In a local pond, the “nests” will have a little piece of freshwater clam shell shining up from the center. Watch for action on the surface, and when you see a fish rise, make a controlled cast to land your dry fly in the general vicinity of the commotion. By untwisting the thread, you flatten it increasing its surface area and reducing the potential for the thread to slice through the foam. Soft HacklesSometimes I just want to catch fish. Picture yourself on a lakeside after a hike, your fly rod is in your hand. Get creative! Strip a Clouser minnow over the nest and you’re almost guaranteed a strike. Bottom Flies - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean Provides instruction for tying flies for bass, bluegills, and other panfish. For a leader, tie on a 9-foot, 4Xt tapered leader plus an additional 16 inches of 5X nylon tippet. The Warm Water gurgler is an example of a stacked foam fly. If you want to share it with our readers, shoot me an email. Is there a difference between the foam you see marketed as “fly foam” in your local fly shop and the stuff you find in the isles of your local craft store or Walmart? Kind of a no-brainer . What’s cool about bluegill fishing, is that if you’re up for it, you could easily try out every iteration of the TFO Drift Fly Rod and start practicing the different techniques for when you hit the trout stream in the fall. I like to strip in these small streamers at varying speeds, jump them along the bottom, or even suspend them below an indicator. It’s a win all the way around! If you’re just starting out, don’t over-complicate the gear you buy to catch bluegill. In this article I teach some tricks to having a fishing partner for life. How to Fly Fish for Brook Trout. The water lilies are closing up for the day. Poppers are an extremely versatile fly that every angler should … Do the same thing along weed lines and you?ll draw out the occasional bass . But I’m splitting hairs here. My canoe always sits on a small trailer so getting out for a quick trip is painless. I’ll toss it as close as I can to lily pads and work it back ever so slowly. Cast it out, let it sink, and wait for the little thump at the end of your line. With a weight forward line, you’ll be able to perform all the bluegill fly fishing techniques I share below. Not that a ‘gill will bend it, but a heavy hook adds a bit of extra weight to help the fly sink. Clarksburg, NJ 08510 (609) 529-1729. You can fish for ‘gills all year, but May is one of my favorite times to target them. The unique hook I tie this fly on eliminates the possibility of the body rotating on the hook shank and interfering with the hook gap, a real problem with a fly shaped like this!