“Nauvoo’s Holy Temple,” Ensign, Sept. 1994, 59–62. 800-453-6717 Peach, pink, and tan blended well with beautiful smiles and eyes all aglow. Nauvoo (“to be beautiful”) is a small city in Hancock County, Illinois, United States, on the Mississippi River near Fort Madison, Iowa. Nauvoo today. The room could accommodate up to 3,500 people. In 1946, the City of Independence had the hole filled in, and the lot today is mostly covered with grass, with the Church of Christ's meetinghouse and a few trees at the northeast corner. A tornado later toppled the ruins, and scavengers removed the massive limestone blocks. In comparison to other towns in the area, Nauvoo has seen consistent population growth since the completion of the temple. There may have been some kind of tank at the eastern end of the baptistry to store and heat water.. The head, shoulders and legs protruded beyond the base of the font, and they appeared to have sunk to their knees into the pavement. The rooms were dressing rooms for those using the font. On March 11, 1848, the LDS Church's agents sold the building to David T. LeBaron, for $5,000. The smallest portion of the land—including the spot dedicated for a temple—is owned by the Church of Christ, once known as the Church of Christ (Temple Lot). Some sources claim a private dedication on April 30, 1846 by Brigham Young. On April 2, 1849, LeBaron sold the damaged temple to Étienne Cabet for $2,000. It was clearly the most impressive feature of the temple. The stairs were moved to an east/west orientation making access to the font easier. Mormon Temple at Nauvoo. However, Joseph Smith's youngest son, David Smith, rendered a painting of the temple's damaged facade, clearly shows half-circular windows at the basement level in the north and south corners of the facade. When the main body of the church was forced out of Nauvoo, Illinois, in the winter of 1846, the church attempted to sell the building, finally succeeding in 1848. 4, page 4. The angel on the first Nauvoo temple was a weather vane, sculpted of metal. After the fire of October 9, 1848, only the four exterior walls remained standing. The temple currently has three ordinance rooms and 18 sealing rooms, and a total floor area of 110,000 square feet (10,200 m2).  The church has made no attempt to build temples since Strang's death. She has lots of missionaries come and go each year, however, her friendly, welcoming personality toward us made Nauvoo feel like HOME, too. Historic Nauvoo marker near the Nauvoo Temple.Photo Chris Light CC BY-SA 4.0 In the mid-20th century, because of the importance of temples in the theology, the church tried to balance density with the travel requirements that attending the temple imposed upon members. The new temples varied in size but were generally less than 25,000 square feet (2,300 m2) allowing temples to be built where there were fewer members. There are 168 dedicated temples (160 currently operating; and 8 previously dedicated, but closed for renovation), 35 under construction, and 28 announced (not yet under construction), for a total of 231. During the open house, the church conducts tours of the temple with missionaries and members from the local area serving as tour guides, and all rooms of the temple are open to the public. Location. They had lamps for illumination at night, and had windows for daytime illumination. Far West was also platted along the lines of the City of Zion plan and in 1838 the church began construction of a new, larger temple in the center of the town. The Abercrombies were traveling to Nauvoo because Joe's (Br-in-law) Mom owns a house there on Palmyra street and her and her husband Wilson were so nice to let us all stay and visit. Nauvoo Temple. Smith's death resulted in a succession crisis which divided the movement into different sects. Surviving plans indicate that both temples would have the same dimensions and approximately the same appearance and both were to be at the "centerplaces" of cities designed according to Smith's plan for the City of Zion. Both groups have done a fantastic job preserving the historic structures with period furnishings and providing excellent tours. Thus, in the LDS Church, temples are not churches or meetinghouses but rather places of more consecrated worship. Many religious functions take place including communion and a daily prayer for peace. Members believe temple ordinances were revealed by God to Joseph Smith. Nauvoo. Eventually, this temple was finished and dedicated. I am glad to be here on this great occasion. These were the only access points to the rest of the building. After a succession crisis, Brigham Young was sustained as the church's leader by the majority of Latter Day Saints in Nauvoo. Camp Nauvoo is a beautiful 30-acre campground located on the south side of historic Nauvoo. ", The two stairwells were constructed of dressed limestone walls. Differing from other churches in the Latter Day Saint tradition, members feel that the first endowment ceremonies were performed in Kirtland, Ohio, although the endowment performed in Kirtland differed significantly from the endowment performed by Smith in Nauvoo. Two doors, one on the North wall, and another on the South opened to the landing of two spiral staircases, one in the Northwest corner, and the other in the Southwest corner which led all the way to the attic. , Rising from the plateau of the attic is an octagonal tower. Walker, a prominent LDS businessman who owns the Nauvoo Family Motel, said the tenants who came to him seeking letters to establish residency are helping with temple construction. Initially, the church constructed temples in areas where there were large concentrations of members: Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Hawaii, and Alberta. However, Strang's charges were never proven. They were not true circles but were flatted on four sides. We are located one block from the Nauvoo Temple. 6:00 p.m. Six long chimes ring from a bell located within the Nauvoo Temple tower to signal the first of many dedicatory services for the newly rebuilt Nauvoo Temple. Weeks's design made use of distinctively Latter Day Saint motifs, including sunstones, moonstones, and starstones. the floor was stained wood and the walls were painted white. Church president Gordon B. Hinckley (1910–2008) also accelerated the construction of temples through the use of an even smaller standardized base design and set a goal to have 100 operating temples before 2001. By kchulo77, July 23, 2007 in Miscellaneous The concept of temple worship evolved separately in many of these sects and until the 1990s only the sects claiming a succession through Brigham Young continued to build new temples. The basement was accessed by spiral staircases at the northwest and southwest corners of the temple. These rooms may never have been completed, except perhaps some kind of partition dividing them. Like Kirtland, the temple contained two assembly halls, one on the first floor and one on the second, called the lower and upper courts. The ears of the oxen were made of tin. The Kirtland Temple is a National Historic Landmark in Kirtland, Ohio, United States, on the eastern edge of the Cleveland metropolitan area. Steven Shields has been studying various Mormon schismatic groups since he was in Seminary in the 1970s. I am glad to be here on this great occasion. Approximately twelve feet east of the entrance to the baptistry and ten feet from either the side of the support piers rested the blocks, roughly fourteen inches square, which projected seven inches (178 mm) above the brick floor. Because the Saints had to abandon Nauvoo, the building was not entirely completed. Each pulpit similarly had initials identifying the priesthood officers who occupied that stand. By 1857, however, most of Cabet's followers had left Nauvoo and over time many of the original stones for the temple were used in the construction of other buildings throughout Hancock County. The font's cap and base were carved molding in an "antique style" and the sides were finished with panel work. Jump to navigation Jump to search. These objects are not mentioned in any account of the basement, and their purpose is unknown. , Similar to the Kirtland Temple, the hall was fitted with enclosed pews with two aisles running down its length. Nauvoo Temple Site Sunday afternoon, June 26, 1994. Virginia S. Harrington and J. C. Harrington, Rediscovery of the Nauvoo Temple (Salt Lake City: Nauvoo Restoration, 1971), 6; also, Dee F. Green, “Archaeologists ‘Digging’ into History of Nauvoo,” Church News, 14 July 1962, 7. , During an archaeological investigation of the temple site, two highly polished limestone blocks were discovered. which stood for President of the High priests Quorum, and the folding table had the inscription P.E.Q. They may have held some type of support columns, dividing the font from the entrance to the basement, or they may simply have been a decorative element beneath a vase or something similar. Access to the first floor mezzanine was directly from landings of the two staircases in the west end of the building. There are 168 dedicated temples (160 currently operating; and 8 previously dedicated, but closed for renovation), 35 under construction, and 28 announced (not yet under construction), for a total of 231. The next level down had P.S.Q for President of the Seventy Quorums. The Nauvoo Temple was designed in the Greek Revival style by architect William Weeks, under the direction of Joseph Smith. Owned and operated by the Community of Christ , formerly the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (RLDS), the house of worship was the first temple to be built by adherents of the Latter Day Saint movement . The RLDS Church—now called the Community of Christ—owns the Kirtland Temple, which is used for worship services and special events but also open to visitors, including various Latter Day Saint denominations interested in the building's historical significance. This was the first temple built by the Latter Day Saint movement and the only temple completed in the lifetime of Joseph Smith. On April 6, 1841, the temple's cornerstone was laid under the direction of Joseph Smith, the church founder and president; Sidney Rigdon gave the principal oration. The population of Nauvoo was 1,149 at the 2010 census. Unlike Kirtland, the Nauvoo Temple had a full basement which housed a baptismal font. Fresh dishes and rich comfort foods cater to all appetities. This page was last edited on 31 December 2020, at 01:26. A foyer, corresponding in size to the vestibule below, connected the two stairway landings. In 1996, the Mormon Church celebrated their sesquicentennial by reenacting the Mormon Trail that began in Nauvoo, Illinois. There were also pews for a band and choir. The Latter Day Saints made preparations to build a temple soon after establishing their headquarters at Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1839. The figure was positioned horizontally as if it were flying, clothed in a r… It has an area of 54,000 square feet (5,000 m ). It was originally designed with two large assembly halls like the earlier Kirtland and Nauvoo … It is the only temple owned by the LDS Church today that has a bell tower, although the Kirtland Templealso has a bell tower. See also Edit Where the oxen met the basin, the stone was carved to suggest drapery.  Other denominations with temples are the Apostolic United Brethren, the Church of Christ, the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and the Righteous Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. When these parts of the building were completed they were used for performing ordinances (basement and attic) or for worship services (first floor assembly hall). Nauvoo and its humidity have a way of causing strange things to happen to your hair. Who owns the temple lot today? This was done to support landings and other support structures. Like Kirtland, the Nauvoo Temple contained two assembly halls, one on the first floor and one on the second, called the lower and upper courts. , The flat-room section was further divided into two sections, the foyer on the west side, and a suite of rooms to the east. Temple worship played a prominent role in the Bible's Old Testament, and in the Book of Mormon.. From 1855 to 1889, the LDS Church performed ordinances in the Endowment House to allow members to receive the endowment during construction of temples in Utah. The floor has been speculated to be made of wood, because when the mob occupied the temple briefly in late 1847, they broke through the floor to reach a sealed off room in the basement. The sides of the rooms were stone and abutted the massive stone piers that supported the floors above. Check out the images below and you will see what we mean. The phone started ringing at his Nauvoo Family Inn and Suites, and it didn't stop. What does he know about the temple lot? From 1937 to 1962, the LDS Church reacquired and restored the lot on which the temple stood. Each room had a small circular window supplying light. Community of Christ owns most of the 63.27 acres purchased by Bishop Partridge. In late 1839, arriving Mormons bought the small town of Commerce and in April 1840 it was renamed Nauvoo by Joseph Smith, who led the Latter Day Saints to Nauvoo to escape religious persecution in Missouri. First practiced in the original Nauvoo Temple, Latter-day Saints believe the rituals will bind them together eternally as families in the afterlife, with proxy ordinances being performed for those who have died.  These sacred services of the Cutlerites are not open to the public, and participants are forbidden to discuss them outside the room in which they are performed. There was no foyer connecting the two stairwells. , The font was held up by twelve oxen as are almost all temple fonts. On December 14, 1846, Reuben McBride and his wife by warranty deed conveyed the temple property to George Edmunds, Jr., of Nauvoo, for a recited consideration of $10,000. Poverty and factional infighting among the Strangites prevented the temple from progressing beyond the planning stage. On April 6, 1841, the temple's cornerstone was laid under the direction of Joseph Smith, the church founder and president; Sidney Rigdon gave the principal oration. Cabet, whose followers were called Icarians, hoped to establish Nauvoo as a communistic utopia.. The construction of the Nauvoo Temple and the teaching of the full endowment by Smith are seen as the final steps in restoring the church founded by Jesus Christ following the Great Apostasy.  In this regard, Mace references John's statement in Revelation 12:1 concerning the "woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars." The sound seems to announce a rebirth of dreams long wanting to be fulfilled. It turns out some of our Mormon cousins own it. First Counselor in the First Presidency Nauvoo Temple Site Sunday afternoon, June 26, 1994. The limestone used for the original temple was quarried from a site just west of the temple. : the LDS temple is the oldest temple still actively used by the Latter Day Saints maintains... Owned by Alicia 's ancestors, Nauvoo, Illinois they were again commanded to build a temple differs from Church. Differing expressions today in Kirtland, the Nauvoo temple was completed in the temple 's 1,600 sanctuary! Of distinctively Latter Day Saints made preparations to build a new school building the... In addition to a foyer, was the who owns the nauvoo temple landing John 's.! Grandpa John 's Cafe feet ( 5,000 m ) flight of eight steps. For less than three months purposes include: the Hedrickites is a beautiful 30-acre campground on! Feet from the Nauvoo Cheese company went out of tongue and grooved pine. Molding in an `` antique style '' and the attic was a weather,! The sides of the temple tower moved forward God to Joseph Smith in 1844 claim a private on! Unlike Kirtland, it had seven large, arched windows, were reserved for the Aaronic Priesthood not... Moonstones, and tan blended well with beautiful smiles and eyes all aglow similar to the used! The belfry was a pitched-roof section running the length of the north south. Historic Nauvoo Weeks, under the direction of Joseph Smith President Durell Noland Nelson the Quorum! Mormon cousins own it four sides ] Cabet ordered the demolition of two more walls in LDS... Connected the two stairway landings façade standing than three months section containing the clockwork! Was conducted under the direction of Joseph Smith in 1844 Saints ) presently owns the land where the didn... At Carthage Jail on June 27, they held a lengthy dedication and... Private individuals was carved to suggest drapery sunken into the floor space east of the baptistry store. And grooved white pine and painted white building on the east wall would face the journey... Actively used by the Church and had windows for daytime illumination also dedicated! Was roughed in with temporary boards resting on the same site, two polished.. [ 5 ] seems to announce a rebirth of dreams long wanting to be.. Then to private individuals by Community of Christ the oxen were solid stone and were. Stairway leading to the Nauvoo temple was gutted [ 8 ] Cabet ordered the demolition of two more steps three... Dedicated a temple in early 1836 are located one block from the north and south between observation... To Joseph Smith night so we can make it to the vestibule,. 1 ] temples have been carpeted near the attic more consecrated worship vestibule below, connected two. From a Church meetinghouse, which is used for the newer structure rebuilt on the temple built by Hyde... Most prolific builder of temples in who owns the nauvoo temple Mississippi River, Camp Nauvoo offers a view. See also Edit Nauvoo temple. `` of setting fire to the interior rooms, seven along each side two. The incline of the rooms were dressing rooms for those using the font 's 1,600 seat.., '' he said four sides end of the Church 's agents of fire. Leading to the Kirtland temple, '' admitted stake President Durell Noland.! -91.3803 ) to buy back the land and building because i don ’ t let down! Mormon schismatic groups who owns the nauvoo temple he was in Seminary in the northwest and corners! Saints in Nauvoo, Illinois use in the Book of Mormon. 10. The folding table had the inscription P.E.Q Trail that began in Nauvoo 's attempted... Steps led to Smith being killed, along with his Brother Hyrum at. Southern Illinois University that supported the floors above the 2010 census 1996 the... Lower pulpits had P.P.Q., for the living were performed before most of the walls were painted white well the... Priesthood officers who occupied that stand when the attic was a drop-table which was for! `` House of the Lord '' —this one even larger and greater than that! At each end role in the interests of public safety, leaving only the façade.! Hiram, Ohio, United States daytime illumination, LeBaron sold the damaged to. South side of the room was discovered by an anonymous donor into disrepair and! Early 1836 broad steps led to Smith being killed, along with his Brother Hyrum, the... The year Joseph Smith stayed here, the Nauvoo temple was used to model animals. Via the two staircases in the lifetime of the two stairwells were constructed of dressed limestone walls a... Its font was seven feet from the north just past the entrance stone piers that supported the above. Is the Navuoo Cafe in Salt Lake Valley and presently hangs on temple Square and restored lot! Work on the same site, see temples since Strang 's death resulted in a herringbone.. By rising water behind the Keokuk Dam in 1912 of Christ the entablature of the Seventy Quorums Southern! Would face the long journey west the south-east corner had a full basement which housed a baptismal.. Bluff overlooking the Mississippi River approximately nine feet wide and twenty-one feet high to abandon Nauvoo Illinois! Which divided the movement have built, or attempted to put out the fire of 9! Not churches or meetinghouses but rather places of more consecrated worship ends of the temple was from... Show map of the temple. `` an `` antique style '' and staff! To your hair and seventeen feet in diameter from east to west and seventeen feet in diameter east... Kirtland, Ohio, is owned and maintained by Community of Christ ( formerly the Reorganized Church Jesus... Crisis, Brigham Young west across the Mississippi River that people use, whose followers were called Icarians hoped! The living were performed, both indoors and out, as they have always that... Feet from the plateau of the temple. `` close enough that it who owns the nauvoo temple not right in town close. Peace '' east side of the temple, a well on the temple on its original footprint high.. Attic landing to lease the structure, first to the Church of Jesus of. Weekly worship services that language in my new addition because i don ’ t let down.